BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, January 28, 2008

My Reflections of a Prophet

One of my earliest memories of President Hinckley involved the Astrodome, a golf cart, and my dad. You all probably know what I am talking about...
I remember many general conferences when I would wonder to myself, "Why would a prophet of God speak so much to the people of earth concerning such temporal and seemingly mundane matters? Perpetual education fund, food storage, education, staying out of debt... How does it all tie in to his calling as prophet, seer, and revelator?" I remember when I received the answer as well... The Lord is teaching His people to be self-reliant. We can go much deeper than this, perhaps later.
I remember the end of my first general conference in the mission field, and how much I literally missed the voice of President Hinckley like I missed my own family. Perhaps it was only because it wasn't the voice of my trainee...
I remember the October conference of '06, when the final song was "We Thank Thee O God For a Prophet", and all the conference center stood in honor of our aging prophet.
I remember a devotional here at BYU last year, where President Hinckley spoke. The Marriot Center was packed, and all throughout campus all ears were for him. I think I caught a glimpse of how much the people of the church love him.
I remember realizing how his departure from this life would be like an honorable return after a most successful mission. I think part of him longed to go home, to be with his friends he had served with, with the wife whom he loved, and to be with the Lord who ever walked beside him. Much like Ally, the departure from this life is a glorious thing, though we all miss him very much.

0 comments: