BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, February 2, 2008

Of Skates and Boards

I've tried a few new things lately these past weekends. Saturdays are always open for me in the evening, so, being usually dateless, I have the opportunity to go out and have some fun.
Last week was actually kind of a date. This girl had a birthday, so I called her up to go see August Rush. She didn't get off work until nine, so she provided a counter-offer: disco skating. I can count the number of times I have roller skated on one hand (I roller blade much more), so I thought I would go throw myself around and provide entertainment for everyone else. Eight wrecks spelled success! It was a lot of fun, and I even tried using the bathroom with skates on. Messy... All I had to pat for it was nine dollars and two great blisters on my right foot. Of course, I wonder if the excessive amount of sweat I produced was good for social relations... Does anyone else seem to sweat a LOT in these situations?
This week's adventure was a bit more costly. I took a ghastly leap from my comfort zone and accepted the invitation to go snow-boarding with my roommates today. Now, I can count the number of times I have been snow-boarding on one finger, and it was not the most pleasant experience. But I went forth, dropping the necessary 62 dollars (ouch!) for board and boot rentals along with a day pass. The excitement went awry almost right away when I took an immediate embarrassing fall off the first lift. "Hey dude, don't forget to duck!" So I watch my roomies zoom down the hill as I took a time out to nurse my freshly twisted ankle. When I finally manned up, bit the pain, and started down the slopes myself, the pain was quickly forgotten in the thrill of the moment. Hoowah, what a blast!! I even went down from the summit for my last round, and didn't topple off the edge of the mountain. I did so much better than I did like three years ago! The weather was great, I didn't feel cold at all until snow got down my pants numerous times. At the end of the race, we returned to the car, and the thrill of the moment was no more. Now all I feel is the acute discomfort of my soft-ball sized ankle.
So my right foot is blistered up, and my left is twisted, possibly sprained. Don't I need these feet for work?
Anyways, you can tell my nephews that they may own in the virtual snowboard game in Texas, but Uncle Todd does the real thing! And it hurts...

2 comments:

superherotrainer said...

Regardless of your pain, all of it sounds like fun. Way to go Todd for putting yourself out there and enjoying college life!

Lindsey said...

dude, you really are accident prone. that ankle did not look good yesterday. i hope that it looks better today. let me know if you went to the health care center and got it checked out. good news...no discoloration right? so definately not broken. but try to stay off it and keep it iced and elevated.