BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, June 13, 2008

Paint Chips for Breakfast

Of these last two weeks, I decided the painting career wasn't my thang this summer. Each job has a fixed pay for completion, so your hourly wage depends on how quickly you work. I probably averaged under 6 bucks an hour, because when I did something well, it was too slow, and when I did something fast, it was not good enough and I'd have to go back and do it again. Experienced painters can establish that certain balance, but do I really have the time this summer to become an experienced painter? Apart from the minimum wage, I earned a ruined sweatshirt and pair of shorts and tee-shirt, a gasoline-scented car, and a few interesting stories. Earlier this week, we were working in Heber, and it started to snow. Check the date again... ya, it's June. What is the matter with this stupid state? Do you know how fun it is to scrape paint off a fence in under 35 degree weather? On the same day as the snow, I had another unfortunate experience, and I'll have to use lots of euphemisms here for those who gross out easily. My bowels have not been functioning properly for the last two weeks or so, and let's just say that paint wasn't the only stain on my pants that day. Not having any Imodium on me at the time, I just had to deal with it. Yesterday was my last day, and I just power-washed a number of decks and houses. One was a raised deck that is otherwise inaccessible unless through the house. Since the owners weren't home, I had to use my Spider-man instincts and stack tables and climb on the roof. Unfortunately, I am not Spider-man, so I slipped and fell, effectively breaking my collar bone. Ok, not really, but if I did, the first thought that would have come to me would have been simply, "figures". I did climb a house and some golfers may have seen and reported me to Park City police, but if they did I'm not aware of it. The thing is, I'm happy this paint stuff kept me busy these past two weeks, but it was pretty miserable. I keep getting e-mails for more male counselors needed in EFY, and I figure I'll just get a job in August after my last session that will carry over into the school year.
Until then, next week is another week of Everyone Flirts with You. Wait, that would be EFWY... Eternally Frozen Yogurt?... Any ideas?

1 comments:

Retep Graybeard said...

Everybody feels young
Everyone flings yogurt
Everybody Found Yttrium