BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, May 1, 2010

A True Texan

This is now the fourth summer in a row that I've returned to Texas for one reason or another. What can I say, the Lone Star gives the call and I must heed! Not really... I've always had my reasons for coming home, and such remains the same for my current stay.
What reasons you ask?
Perhaps I get so sick of the snow and dryness that I must seek the environmental opposite by returning to swampy gulf coast weather.
Perhaps I am so afraid of my grades from finals that I vacate the state like some academic fugitive. I feel like the BYUKGB is coming after me for scholastic under-achievement. Fortunately, they never leave the Provo bubble.
Perhaps I am afraid of a seriously lop-sided diet, knowing the next bowl of macaroni could literally kill me for overdosing on powdered generic brand cheese. At home, my mom actually cooks vegetables, so I get some vitamins...
Perhaps I just wanted to be somewhere where I felt like I knew what my niche in society was. Then I actually came home and realized that didn't change.

My stay in Texas has brought back the usual charms of home on the range. Tonight I played dodgetennis with my nephews and got my face chewed off by mosquitoes. The last few days I have sweated... A LOT! And the lawn grows awfully fast.

I did get a few weeks for EFY, but only a few is not enough to sell me on a summer of otherwise nothingness, especially if those weeks are in Flagstaff, Arizona.

0 comments: