BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Why 'Homework' Is Not a Good Excuse for Anything

"Hey Sally, wanna go out this weekend?"
"I can't. I'm just swamped with homework."
"Well... *&$@# you!"

This was not a real conversation, I assure you. But maybe it got somebody thinking...
The other night I had to turn down an opportunity to do something on account of writing a paper--on account of homework. As hypocritical as this sounds, I am an exception to the rule that I am about to argue for in the following blurb. Why? Because I had a virus back in the summertime which wiped my computer clean so I no longer have Microsoft Word and I have to go to campus to write or edit papers and print them off. It's not a fun situation at all, especially for an English major. Since the library is only open for so long, I have to respect its hours and it puts me in a tight corner sometimes due to my own procrastination.

As for you, it's all a matter of priorities. If you want to make time for something (or someone) then you will make time. Homework is flexible in the fact that it can be done ANYTIME YOU'RE HOME! That means you could stay up til five in the morning doing the overkill study that college students are surprisingly prone to do. So when you tell a guy that you can't go out with him on account of an over-abundance of homework, what you're really saying is, "You're not important enough to me to find the time." Sure, dates may take a while, but if you simply informed him of your situation, however dire it may be, I'm sure he would be accommodating--he could change the plans to take up only, say, an hour of your time. And it could be a meal, so you could take out whatever time you had planned on cooking your Veggie Burgers or salads or whatever you girls eat. You don't need to spend two hours getting ready for this one... the man just wants to spend some time with you, to enjoy your company, and to know that maybe there is some interest on your part.
The moral is: You can manage your time to find room for somebody, but only if they're important enough to you. Homework? Not an issue... the real issue is your own priorities. Now, it's not a bad thing to have homework higher on your priority list than dating (is it?), just understand that if I ever get that excuse from you, you'd have been better off telling me you were busy shampooing your llama.

Disclaimer: Anyone reading this probably gets the impression that I've recently been turned down as some silly female opted for homework over a chunk of manliness she probably couldn't handle anyways. You would be incorrect to assume such. It's been a few months now since I've got that excuse from anyone. This is only something that's been on my mind, what with finals and everything.

1 comments:

Bentoxic said...

http://www.openoffice.org/

If you are printing it out, this is as good as Word. And it is legally free. It has the other Office programs as well. If you have to send files to people, it is more difficult as there can be compatibility issues, but they may have remedied that in the past three years since I quit using this program. It is open source so it is always being improved on by users.

Good luck. You should be able to get a copy of Microsoft office form wherever you got your computer as well if it was preloaded and no disk was sent to you. Dell did it for me after I floundered around for abut 6 months.