BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Digital Civilization

There comes a time in a man's semi-well constructed life in which he must seek for extra credit in order to ease his stressing soul. Tonight, I attended a seminar/class thing in order to do just that on "Digital Civilization", which I had no idea what to expect apart from the fact that it would NOT be about video games.
Imagine my surprise and delight when they had a very distracting display on the projector that showed the entire auditorium your anonymous comments and questions while the speakers presented their various programs and experiences. All you had to do was text it, and it showed up for 100+ people to see while the speaker was oblivious to it, like a constant public twitter feed.
People were afraid at first... the comments were all the same. "I want to take this class", and "wow, that's cool...." and one brave soul posted, "I wonder how long it will take before someone proposes on this." Then I decided to introduce a little anarchy.
"Mormons are wierd"
After the reactions to that one died down, and the hard nosed participants voiced there dismay at the lack of focus (and by voiced I mean typed a few motherly words of rebuke behind the safety of a cell-phone keyboard), I wasn't quite done...
"These mashed potatoes are so creamy"
I only got three responses for that one, but a lot more comments on how the randumbness of people was distracting. Hey, they're choosing to be distracted.
Finally, I advertised this blog, saying "There's a guy who does a blog that's great for bored people at regularguylife.blogspot.com" so if anyone heeds that promotion, then I consider myself... incriminated.
All in all, the Digital Civilization was still a neat-o presentation, being an amalgamation of methods is which we utilize technology to enhance students' experiences. I got that much out of it, despite that fascinating toy that proved to be even more fun than Y-Chat rooms from the 90's.
Ope, it's 11:11. Cross your fingers for passing grades!

0 comments: