BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

2010 Reviews

Nah, I'm not gonna review the year 2010. I just don't want to. I feel like I've done that a few hundred times before for the few hundred years I've lived, so I'll do something different this year and simply post some other reviews from 2010.

Let's start with the movies I saw over the holidays. 4 trips to the theaters, and none of them disappointed.
Tangled: Disney still can produce some magic sans Pixar.
Chronicles of Narnia, the Voyage of the Dawn Treader: The action scenes were brief, but they were many. The final meeting with Aslan sent shivers down my Christian spine. I don't mean that in jest.
Harry Pottter 7, the prequel to Harry Potter 7 1/2: Even though I'm not a fan of the Potter films, I really liked this one. It kept very much in line with the book, which is excellent for the first half of number 7 (and it will be great for the next half so long as that '19 Years Later' nonsense isn't included). They did miss some of the more emotional parts in Godric's Hollow which I was disappointed by, and I suppose they didn't have time if they were to include a cheesy, platonic dance scene in the wilderness--which thrilled all the loyalists to team Harry-Mione, including my little sister.
Still, you know a movie is good when the feeling of impending credits makes you sad.
Tron, Legacy: Ok, this one made a lot more sense when I realized that it was a sequel... after I'd watched it. (They named the movie after a guy who had precious few appearances in the actual film?) Do you ever watch a movie and think, "This one was made to fill the Happy Meals with cheap plastic toys!"? Yup, neither do I. But as I sat at McDonald's and enjoyed my free meal, courtesy of my Christmas gift cards, the thought certainly crossed my mind.

For some non-movie reviews-
Southwest Airlines: Ok, we always go with what's cheapest... but three flights in a row with non-weather related delays? Come on people! At least their pilots don't get fired for being funny. Or trying to be funny.
The Wanderings of Wuntvor (a novel by Craig Shaw Gardner): Aw-ful!! I loved the Malady of Magicks series, but here we have a prime example of repetitive, stretching out of parts that don't matter and rushing through parts that do. Can parodies become so overblown that they're not funny anymore? Shrek seems to have done ok with it.
The Lost Hero: Seriously, Rick... October? That's an awful long wait.
Off-Brand Egg Nog: DO NOT go there.

More to come, but for now, I have to get to work. Another three hour classroom training for basketball that I've been through five times now. Hooray.
Here comes 2011!!! Less than a year from sub-zero apocalypse!

0 comments: