BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, October 1, 2010

School Rantings, the Unrelated Sequel to Cool Runnings

I walk into the MckAy building today and there is a screen that asks, "What do you love about BYU?" Ha, I was just grumbling about the whole institution...

So I left the world of mathematically narrow and meaningless right answers to come to the world of English... where there are NO right answers. Today in one of my classes as the essays of various students were being picked apart by the opinions of other students, I raised my hand and said, "Isn't it all relative? I mean, even if it's a critical analysis, people only write what they believe, so when you say what's wrong and what's right about this, how can we trust it? Maybe they meant for it to be this way. Maybe you may wish for an apple or an orange, but you still got a peach... and seriously, if you dig deep enough into anyone's work, you can get positive and negative. So why on earth did I get a C on my last paper that I spent several hours on?"

Ok, so maybe I didn't really say that out loud. I mean, I did in my mind. If they could read my mind they'd be like, "What?" But I guess the moral of the story is that there is no way out. I give you my paper and subject myself to your subjective whims, oh professor, and who shall be the ultimate judge of how this affects my GPA slash life?

If only every math test was just a sudoku puzzle and every English test was a crossword. Then I would own life.

2 comments:

Jon said...

In freshman English my professor said, there are no wrong answers, give me your honest assessment of this story. I thought the story was crap and said so in my paper. Got a D on it! pfffttttt!

Justin said...

I loved the Oogway quote.