BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Time Skips

As you can see, I put some nifty categorizations on my blog for my favorite blog posts, regardless of what my imaginary audience thinks. I know, soooooo self-promoting, right? Well, the Books of Man of Little Consequence are all involved, so now you (or I) can read them as one book, though there are significant time skips between each chapter.
And then I started thinking about time skips... you know, the sort that show up in books or t.v. shows, telling you a whole summer has passed or maybe two years when in reality, the only time that has passed was you putting down one book and taking the next one off the shelf. Or maybe you're a bit weird like me and you sleep on it, hoping to get more of the feel of the intended time pass so as to make the reunions between the characters more meaningful (Nerd plug here: I actually waited two days before I made the transition from Naruto to Shippuden. Hopefully, you don't know what I'm talking about...) First Nephi has a seven year time skip when they were wandering around in the wilderness, but we move on to the next verse in a second while he and his family lived through all those--probably very uncomfortable--years.

So do we ever wish for time skips in our lives? Like a sort of Adam Sandler "Click" function where we can just pass a few hours or days or years in the blink of an eye, and effectively accomplish great growth without the growing pains?

I kind of wished for that today as I was painting a long stretch of fence. The monotonous tedium was sure to be taxing on my restless soul... Why can't I just be there--two hours into the future when it's all done for today. But then, if that were the case I would have missed the giant painted turtle in the pampas grass, which I "rescued" and placed in the kennel. I wouldn't have been able to invite my nephews over for a VIP pass to my own single-exhibit zoo, and then we wouldn't have gloriously released the turtle to scores of imaginary cheering cheer-people, and ended the afternoon with a strangely victorious feeling. I mean, it's just a turtle... but turtles are soooo cool and stuff.

So I stand by my own axiom, totally original as far as I know: "The greatest blessing of this monotonous and tedious life--and the tedium and monotony only increase as we get older and settle into a routine of handling responsibilities, mind you--is that we get to live every moment of it." For what is life but monotony, punctuated by periods of exaltation? That wasn't original. I did just quote myself right before that like some great philosopher/tool though.

Then again, it's after midnight and I'm about to retire the day, which means I'll time skip from this time til about, say, eight-thirty tomorrow morning (envy me, oh ye workers of industry in locations other than your own home!). So I guess my whole prolix, philosophical quote is bogus. Bummer.

But what about dreams? Does it count as a time skip if I'm hanging out in an RV parked in the middle of an ocean surrounded by scores of show-boating seals? I'll let you mull that one over in your exhausted minds. Until then, thanks for reading, even if you cut out after the first paragraph on this one.

2 comments:

Justin said...

No, it just means you're a redneck.

lene b said...

seriously todd. i love reading your writings. thanks for sharing pieces of your mind. :)