BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Danger: Opinion Ensuing!

You know, I love sports. I really do. Few things in this life get me more exciting than the upcoming Turkey Bowl at our house, or an intramural basketball game, or just the usual pick-up games on Tuesday nights, or volleyball class at 8 o'clock in the morning...

I know what you're thinking: "Wow, Todd. You really ought to get out more... or maybe kiss a girl sometime." True.
But now is a time for reflection for me. As much as I love to play sports, watching them is really going down-hill. Although the win tonight was magical over Utah, I wonder what life would have been like had the game gone awry like last year... oh that terrible feeling of bitter irony, knowing how much enthusiasm was replaced by disappointment and sullen resentment since that historic win over Oklahoma (which lost its historic-ness as the season progressed and OK faltered). Yet, we did win, and as wonderful and elating as sweet vengeance is, I find it a bit tarnished by the ensuing comments of Max Hall.

"I don't like Utah. In fact, I hate them. I hate everything about them. I hate their program, their fans. I hate everything," Hall said. "It felt really good to send those guys home.... I think the whole university and their fans and the organization is classless. They threw beer on my family and stuff last year and did a whole bunch of nasty things. I don't respect them and they deserved to lose."

You know, my first reaction to seeing this quote was satisfaction. Hoorah, somebody agrees with me! Here we have evidence supporting my claims that Salt Lake is the city of abominable fans. And Max is right. Utah was classless, from what stories I heard of my BYU fan aquaintances that attended the game last year.
But then I remembered watching the game and thinking to myself, "I'm kind of glad I'm not there." The U of U is not alone in its classlessness. I find that fans everywhere, more than anything else, are angry, egotistical, and unrestrained. Wow, I sound really snooty and high-nosed here, but let me assure you, I AM NO EXCEPTION. I felt just as angry when the officials called the ball dead after BYU clearly recovered an obvious fumble (turns out they blew the play dead because the runners helmet came off and they were concerned for his safety), I just wasn't as verbal about it, but I would have been had I been surrounded by other outrageously boisterous fans. I've been an official before, too, and I know what it's like to be the object of hatred of everyone paying attention to your game. Perhaps that is why I am writing this blog.
Here's a shout out to "Bob Smith", the guy who called me a puss. You made this ranting possible. And here's another to my high-school basketball coach, Shannon Taylor. If I ever see you again, I might just kick you in the groonies. Shannon... snicker.
So, I know it's wishful thinking to say the world should embrace sports as what they were meant to be: recreational and friendly fun. Not gonna happen in our competitive world. Fans and players alike will go on hating people that they have never met apart from wearing a rival's uniform, and I will take all the absurdity into account before I drop another hundred-some odd bones on next year's All-sport pass, cause I probably ain't graduating anytime soon.
For what it's worth, Todd Martin. Good day.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I felt the same way my last year at BYU, when I saw the cougar fans throwing water bottles and trash at the refs. No class. It's not just BYU, or Utah, it's the bad combination of young kids, huge crowds, and too much emotion. It's really difficult to have a culture of good sportsmanship. The only time I have seen it was when I was a freshman at UT. The longhorns killed Nebraska in Austin, and as I was walking out of the stadium I saw the Nebraska fans repeatedly stop the UT kids and tell them what a good game it was, and congratulate them. Those are fans to be proud of.

Jon said...

Well...it's easy enough to be cordial and gracious most of the time. Cougars are that about 90 games out of a hundred. The other 10 are games with the Utes. My in-laws have had similar run-ins with the Ute fans. Needless to say, I feel the same way as Max Hall about the Utes in general. Read the blogs on any BYU article and you will start to understand his frustration. But, guess what...it's OK!!! It's football! It's a rivalry game! UT and OU is a similar situation, A&M and UT (although that one's pretty one sided these days). I'm sure with Nebraska you will get the same thing in a rivalry game. These people hate each other when the association is sports. Day to day, there are no qualms. As long as the "hate" stays within that arena of life, it is basically harmless. Only in Utah would they make such a big deal out of one player saying he hates another team. This stuff happens every Saturday.