BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Officially Employed

For the first time in my life, I am recieving paychecks for my own labor... what an exciting thing! Especially since I'm exempt from taxes! But was I in over my head when I signed up?
First of all, the skyroom... not really worth mentioning actually. My REAL job involves putting on neutral gray, arming myself with a Fox40 whistle and a yellow flag, and taking on the fragile egos of hundreds of BYU students and Utah residents battling for nothing more than a meaningless win-loss record among fellow students. What a silly thing to do right? If you know me, my cheeful attitude and whimsical ways don't seem to measure up to official BYU intramural official, but I actually quite enjoy it! When people ask me what I do for work, I can proudly say "I run up and down a field and get yelled at." The pay is not bad, it keeps me in shape, and most of all, it is a challenge. I am taken back to the days of the mission where I experience the sort of indirect anger directed towards what I represent than more to me, but it's still tough for a sensitive soul like me so unaccustomed to having to take a stand for my decisions, even if I know they are wrong. Therefore, I grow, and growth is what life is all about, right? Progression... I'd like to say my work helps me draw closer to Heavenly Father... surely it helps me to serve Him better. I struggle, and it's during these times of struggle that I'm closest to Him (like when I was a 150 pound linebacker on my varsity highschool football team).
The only complaint I would have is the restraint of time it puts on me. I can't participate in all the wonderful extra things that happen throughout the week from 6-10 (like a capella club or latin dance club or muppet club), and my Friday nights are almost always shot. Thus my social life is pot... but who knows if it would be any different? My grades are a bit iffy at the moment too. But it'll all work out.
So this Thanksgiving, I'll be watching everyone extra close for that silly flag guard call... and illegal contact, though I might tackle Pete again just for kicks and giggles...

1 comments:

Retep Graybeard said...

Too bad you wont get the chance, sucker!! I won't even be in Texas for Thanksgiving. Have you thrown anyone out of a game yet? That was Jon's "favorite" part.