BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, October 20, 2007

The Weekend Continues

I knew I wasn't going to spend much time at home today... which was probably a good thing.
The day went as planned, work came and went with a frosty breeze to boot, and then it was game time! BYU was dominating by the time I had got my fill in of observing the officials on the field (did you know there are SEVEN?) and had to take off to go to Salt Lake with my buddy from the mission, Matt Yancey. We planned on hitting the seven o'clock LIVE endowment session, but an unexpected snow storm greatly hindered our progress. So we arrived 15 minutes later than the expected time, which was enough to miss our session... bummer. However, we knew the night wasn't wasted when we got a referral! This lady was asking us how she could get into the temple. "Easy," I said, "You just have to get baptized." The dynamic duo of Elders Martin and Yancey strikes again! We totally went back to the days of the mission! And we were getting snowed on the whole time. We ended up watching the Joseph Smith movie. I hadn't seen it in over a year, and I had this perpetual lump in my throat pretty much the whole movie. Maybe that's where your body stores all your manly tears you never shed... So afterwards, we talked to some sister missionaries and visited the tabernacle. Then we found out that sessions went til 8:00 on Saturdays too. Well, we live we learn. I'm still looking forward to a live session.
More interesting trivia: Did you know there is the big dipper on one side of the temple? It's symbolic of a few things, the main one I'd suppose having to deal with the North Star.

1 comments:

Bentoxic said...

Some random trivia:

On the big dipper on the SLC Temple, you'll actually notice that the engraving of the Big Dipper matches up (supposedly, never checked it myself) with the direction north (and the north star).

The Big Dipper is traditionally the easiest way to find the North Star, which doesn't move (allegedly, it actually wobbles some) and the way to find your way when lost.

There are also enough phases of the moon to account for a one solar year cycle of the earth.